National Service Scheme (NSS)
The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. It provides opportunity to the student youth of 11th & 12th Class of schools at +2 Board level and student youth of Technical Institution, Graduate & Post Graduate at colleges and University level of India to take part in various government led community service activities & programmes. The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service. Since inception of the NSS in the year 1969, the number of students strength increased from 40,000 to over 3.8 million up to the end of March 2018 students in various universities, colleges and Institutions of higher learning have volunteered to take part in various community service programmes.
- All the youth volunteers who opt to serve the nation through the NSS led community service wear the NSS badge with pride and a sense of responsibility towards helping needy.
- The Konark wheel in the NSS badge having 8 bars signifies the 24 hours of a the day, reminding the wearer to be ready for the service of the nation round the clock i.e. for 24 hours.
- Red colour in the badge signifies energy and spirit displayed by the NSS volunteers.
- The Blue colour signifies the cosmos of which the NSS is a tiny part, ready to contribute its share for the welfare of the mankind.
The motto of National Service Scheme is NOT ME BUT YOU
A NSS volunteer who takes part in the community service programme would either be a college level or a senior secondary level student. Being an active member, these student volunteers would have the exposure and experience to be the following:
- An accomplished social leader
- An efficient administrator
- A person who understands human nature
DME has a strong community service orientation. Extension activities are conducted on a regular basis through the Community Connect Cell, SOCH - Outreach Cell and National Service Scheme (NSS) Unit. Through these units, students, and staff of DME participate and contribute meaningfully towards the society at large. The extension activities at DME play a prominent role in sensitizing students on social issues and are geared towards inculcating a spirit of service, empathy, compassion, and civic responsibility amongst students.
Given below NSS-DME Annual Reports:
To join NSS at DME write at: firstname.lastname@example.org