About the Library
The DME Library has been named after the literary legend and Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. It was founded in 2012. It is situated on the Fifth Floor and with adequate seating capacity. Rabindranath Tagore Library plays a crucial role in the college, in preparing students aspiring to become competent lawyers, businessmen, and media persons/journalists. The Library has adequate amenities in providing and promoting the best facilities to students from all streams. Library policy emphasizes on the acquisition of books and journals of Law, Management, and Media. The Library is fully air-conditioned and equipped with requisite ICT facilities that support students’ and faculty members’ academic endeavors.
The mission of the library is to support the teaching and research need of faculty, students, and researchers by providing the access to high-tech electronic as well as traditional forms of information with state-of-the-art infrastructure and a comfortable reading environment.
For policy formulation, the Library is having a Library Committee consisting of faculty members and library staff. Library Committee shall perform functions such as:
- Organizing events that help in promoting a library culture and library-based research.
- Recommending and implementing initiatives towards modernization and improvement of the library
- Review library policy, procedures, and rules from time to time
- Reviewing feedback and recommending/implementing corrective actions.
DME Library is fully automated library by implementation of Vidya Automation System which has the following features:
Best Features of Vidya Library Automation System:
- Digital Library Software;
- Full Text Documents Upload Download;
- E-book URL based also be linked;
- Available on Internet/Intranet;
- Web OPAC;
- Browser based user friendly software;
- Multi-screen Access;
- Issue/ return Non-Catalogue material;
- SMS/E-mail of Issue return Books;
- It supports import/export utilities;
- It provides data security at each level;
- Its contains more than 500 reports;
- Report output in MS Excel sheet/PDF format;
- New Arrivals List, Stock Taking, Barcode etc.
- Library visitor’s records/attendance;
- Stock taking & issue/return both same time;
Access WebOPAC/E-Library: Click Here
The library is automated using an Integrated Library Management System (ILMS), adequate subscriptions to e-resources. The library is optimally used by the faculty and students.
“Without libraries what have we? We have no past and no future.”
- Integrated Library Management System (ILMS)
DME Library, called Rabindranath Tagore Library has been automated using an Integrated Library Management System (ILMS), Vidya Library Management Software. This software comes with the following features: User data management, daily attendance management, acquisition, stocking, and barcode management of books, stock verification, issues and returns management and fine management connected therein. The DME library is OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) and DELNET (Developing Library Network) enabled Users can search the library catalogue using OPAC on the OPAC-enabled systems in the library. Students and teachers can search the DELNET catalogue using DELNET-enabled systems in the library so that books that are not available in DME’s Library may be requested from other nearby libraries.
- Subscription to e-resources
The library has subscriptions to Supreme Court Cases (SCC) Online, Hein Online and ManuPatra for legal research and case reference. It has a subscription of 25 selected Sage e-Journals for faculty members and students. Further, remote access can be used to access these journals. These journals provide access to relevant research and reference for faculty members and students in management, journalism and other social sciences. Some examples of subscribed journals are: Global Business Review, Metamorphosis: A Journal of Management Research, Journal of Creative Communication, Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers, Indian Journal of Gender Studies, Higher Education for the Future.
- The library is optimally used by the faculty and students.
DME strives towards strengthening its Library resources continuously. At present, the library has over 15000 books- 8071 (law), 4424 (management),3100 (media), and 44 journals. Students and employees use the library for academic and general reading purposes. The students and Faculty utilize the library for accessing e-resources or computer systems for their research papers, book chapters, projects, assignments, and presentations. During examination preparation days, library timings are increased for students to sit and study. Further, the day’s newspapers are referred to and read as per the needs of the users.
Library Services and Facilities
- Reference Service - The library provides reference services to its users for maximum utilization of library sources and also advice on the usage of library collection.
- Circulation Services - The Library also allows circulation services to its members. It includes providing borrowing facilities, collection of fines, reservation of library documents, no-due certificates’ and re-shelving of library documents.
- Printing and Scanning Services - Library provides photocopy, printout & scanning facilities to its users subject to copyright laws.
- Separate Reading Rooms - The library provides a separate space or discussion room for the students preparing for research activities.
- Digital Library Service - To meet the growing challenges of internet usage and e-learning the library also has digital access. It is well equipped with a computer workstation having desktop, printer, and scanning facility
- Similarity Check Facility - DME Library offers the subscribed version of the similarity check software Turnitin. Similarity checker helps you create original work and cite the work of others in your Word documents. The similarity checker shows you how much content in your document is original, and it makes it easy to insert citations when necessary.
VAC Objectives :
- Professional Development
- Industry Certifications
- Practical Learning
- Employability Skills
Library Rules and Policy
- All faculties, students and staff of the institute are entitled to become library members.
- Membership is allowed only after submitting a duly filled in and signed membership formthe, duly recommended by the concerned HoDs or Director (in case of faculty and staff members).
- A user must be a bona fide student/ faculty member of DME to be able to borrow books / use the library services.
- All students must present their college IDs / Library IDs before borrowing any library materials.
- Library materials may not be removed/taken from the library unless library staff has issued such materials.
- Unauthorized removal of anything belonging to the library will be treated as theft and dealt accordingly.
- All borrowed materials must be returned on or before the due date
- Students are not allowed to borrow books on behalf of others or transfer borrowed materials to other students and the borrower himself/herself is responsible for safety of books in all situations.
- All reserve materials must be returned at the specified time.
- Printouts and photocopies are chargeable.
- Proper silence should be maintained in the Library
- Students are not allowed to enter in the Library without Library card.
- Library cards must be signed by Librarian. Otherwise it will not be authentic.
- Reference books, newspapers, journals, magazines, bound volumes of journals can only be used within the library.
- Strict silence, decorum and discipline must be maintained in the library. Use of mobile phone is strictly prohibited.
- Smoking, eating, sleeping and talking loudly are strictly prohibited in the library
- Documents taken out of the shelves must be left on the table. Re-shelving of the books is not encouraged as it may get misplaced.
- A non-member can use the library material in the library premises only with the permission of the Librarian.
- Readers should not mark, underline, write, tear pages or otherwise damage the library documents.
- Anyone who violates the rules and regulations of the library would be liable to lose the privilege of library membership and may be debarred from using the library facilities.
- Suggestions on all aspects, of library services are welcome.
- Books may be issued between 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM during working days at DME.
- Books may be borrowed as per the time period outlined:
Students: 3 books for a period of 14 days (thereafter reissue)
Faculty members: 5 books for a period of 3 months (thereafter reissue)
Non-teaching staff: 3 books for a period of 3 months (thereafter reissue)
- Overdue Books: Fine at the rate ₹ 5 per day per book; Maximum fine not to exceed three times the price of the book.
- Loss/Damage: Users must replace the lost/damaged books at own cost within 30 days, along with fine, if any. Maximum fine not to exceed three times the price of the book.
- Loss of Overdue books: Fine stops accruing once the book is reported as lost to the Library Staff. Users must replace the lost/damaged books at own cost within 15 days, along with fine, if any. Maximum fine not to exceed three times the price of the book.
- Loss of Library Card: In case of loss of library card by the user, new card will be issued on payment of ₹100.
Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 4:45 PM
Kindly note that the library shall be closed on Sundays and all other holidays as approved by DME.
Open Access Resources
India Code https://www.indiacode.nic.in/
Open textbooks: (Connexions) https://cnx.org/
E Court Services: https://ecourts.gov.in/ecourts_home/
International Open Access E-Resources –
- Supreme Court of Canada: https://www.supremecourt.uk/news/latest-judgments.html
- United Kingdom House of Lords Decisions: http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/
- The British Library https://www.bl.uk/
- Consortium for Educational Communication https://cec.nic.in/cec/
- Directory of Open Access Repositories http://opendoar.org/find.php
- eGyanKosh (IGNOU) https://www.egyankosh.ac.in/
- Library of Congress https://www.loc.gov/
- National Digital Library of India : https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/
- Niscair Only Periodical Repository http://nopr.niscair.res.in/
- NPTEL provides E-learning through online Web and Video courses in Engineering, Science and humanities streams https://nptel.ac.in/
- Parliament Digital Library https://eparlib.nic.in/
- Supreme Court Judges Library : https://main.sci.gov.in/judges-library
- Law Commission Of India : https://lawcommissionofindia.nic.in/
- UNESCO Library https://unesdoc.unesco.org/library
- Virtual Library http://www.vlib.org/
- World Digital Library wdl.org
- Brill Open E-Journals Collection https://brill.com/content/journals
- Cambridge University Press – Open Access Journals http://journals.cambridge.or/action./openAccessContent
- Directory of Open Access Journals – http://www.doaj.com
- Economic and Political Weekly – http://www.epw.in
- Free Scholarly Electronic Journals :an annoted webliography http://www.istl.org/00-fall/internet.html
- Hindawi – Open Access Journals http://www.hindawi.com/oa
- National Preservation Office – NPO ejournals https://www.bl.uk/blpac/journaltemp.html
- Open Access Library – Freen Access to over 10000 journals https://opensciencedirectory.net/
- Palgrave Macmillan – Open Access Journals https://www.palgrave-journals.com/plagraveopen/index.html
- Parivartan Quarterly E-Patrika (Hindi online Magazine) http://www.parivartanpatrika.in/
- SAGE Open Subject Collections http://sgo.sagepub.com/
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN) – Worldwide dissemination of social science research. http://www.ssrn.com/
- SPIE Journals (Open Access) http://journals.spiedigitallibrary.org/journals.aspx
- Taylor & Francis Online :: Open Journals http://www.tandfonline.com/page/openaccess/openjournals
- The African Journal Archive http://www.sabinet.co.za/?page=african-journal-archive
- University of Tennessee – Research Guides – Citation Formats and Style Manuals, Databases and other e-resources collection. http://libguides.utk.edu/style
- Wiley Open Access Journal http://www.wileyopenaccess.com/index.html
- Arts and photography http://www.e- booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=108
- Audio books http://www.audible.com/t1/PBRP0329WS022409?source_code=PBRP0310WS012709
- Biographies & Memoirs http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=146
- Blue Portal provides ebooks in various subjects http://www.zillr.org/
- Book Yards is a web portal which contains books, education materials, information etc. http://www.bookyards.com/
- Brill Open E-Book Collection http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/books
- Business & Investing http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=118
- Computers Science & Internet http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=9
- Darwin Online http://darwin-online.org.uk/
- Directory of Open access Books http://www.doabooks.org/
- eBookLobby containing collection of various subjects. http://www.ebooklobby.com/
- Get Free EBooks http://www.getfreeebooks.com/
- Globusz is a unique ePublishing house, specializing in free eBook downloads http://www.globusz.com/
- Gutenberg- more than 20,000 public domain books that are out of copyright and also world’s greatest fiction available http://www.gutenberg.org/
- Health, Mind & Body http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=83
- Humanities http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=282
- Know Free is a web portal where users are able to exchange freely e-books, video training and other materials for educational purposes and self-practice http://knowfree.net/
- Law http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=268
- Literature & Fiction http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=74
- Many Books provides more than 20,000 ebooks in various subjects http://www.manybooks.net/
- Nonfiction http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=19
- Online Books for children http://www.biguniverse.com/
- Online Free EBooks provides various subject ebooks http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/
- Open Book Publishers – Publishing open access academic books in the humanities and social sciences. http://www.openbookpublishers.com
- Outdoors & Nature http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=136
- Religion & Spirituality http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=65
- Snip Files offers you free ebooks and software http://www.snipfiles.com/
- SpringerOpen books http://www.springeropen.com/books
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare http://shakespeare.mit.edu/
- The Online Books Page is a Listing over 30,000 free books on the Web. http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/
- The Public Library and Digital Archive http://www.ibiblio.org/
- Topics like biography, fiction, games, history or tutorials etc. http://www.free-ebooks.net/
- Tourism & Travel http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=174
- UNESCO : Open Access Publications http://en.unesco.org/open-access/
- about 10,000 newspapers worldwide http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/
- Foreign Language Dictionary-French http://www.libraryspot.com/dictionaries/frenchdictionaries.htm
- Foreign Language Dictionary-Spanish http://www.libraryspot.com/dictionaries/spanishdictionaries.htm
- Librarian’s Index to the Internet http://lii.org/
- Merriam-Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/
- One Look Dictionaries http://www.onelook.com/
- Sahapedia – An open Encyclopedia on Indian Culture and Heritage http://www.sahapedia.org
- Scholarpedia http://www.scholarpedia.org
- Subject Dictionary-Business/Finance http://www.libraryspot.com/dictionaries/businessdictionaries.htm
- Subject Dictionary-Library and Information Science http://www.abc-clio.com/ODLIS/odlis_d.aspx
- Wikipedia http://www.wikipedia.org
- DART-Europe E-theses Portal http://www.dart-europe.eu/basic-search.php
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) http://www.ndltd.org/resources
- Open Access ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT Open) http://pqdtopen.proquest.com/
- Shodhganga – ETD Repository of Indian Universities- INFLIBNET initiative https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/
- Competitive E-magazine (Pratyogitha Darpan & Success Mirror) http://www.emagazine.pdgroup.in/
- digitalLEARNING: Learning Through ICTs https://digitallearning.eletsonline.com
- eGov https://egov.eletsonline.com/
- eHEALTH https://ehealth.eletsonline.com/
- Free ezines: offers 22 free magazines in different subject categories http://www.buzzle.com
- Indian Ocean Turtle Newsletter http://www.iotn.org
- BASE (Bielefeld Academic Search Engine) http://www.base-search.net/
- India Place Finder (A state of the art digital tool for India studies) http://india.csis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/
- Intute – Free online service with access to the best resources available on the internet http://www.intute.ac.uk/
- List of academic databases and search engines https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_academic_databases_and_search_engines
- List of top companies in Indian and abroad http://www.vcsdata.com/
- Nobel Prize Internet Archive http://www.almaz.com/nobel/
- PDF Genie is a new search service which is tailored towards PDF documents http://www.pdfgenie.com/
- Scirus is the most comprehensive scientific search engine for scholarly literature http://www.scirus.com/
- Election Commission of India http://www.eci.nic.in/eci_main1/index.aspx
- of India http://www.india.gov.in
- Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET) Centre http://www.inflibnet.ac.in/
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) https://mhrd.gov.in/
- Parliament of India https://parliamentofindia.nic.in/
- Planning Commission http://www.planningcommission.nic.in/
- Rajbhavan (Tamil Nadu) http://www.tnrajbhavan.gov.in
- Supreme Court of India http://www.supremecourtofindia.nic.in/
- University Grants Commission (UGC) http://www.ugc.ac.in/
- World Bank Data (Data, Reports etc.) http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTABOUTUS/0,,pagePK:50004410~piPK:36602~theSitePK:29708,00.html
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) http://www.wipo.int/portal/index.html.en
- American Library (Chennai) https://in.usembassy.gov/tag/american-library-chennai/
- American Library Association http://www.ala.org
- British Council Library – India https://www.britishcouncil.in/library
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan https://www.britishcouncil.in/study-uk/scholarships/commonwealth-scholarships
- Fellowships and Scholarships https://fellowships.missouri.edu/
- National Scholarships https://mhrd.gov.in/scholarships-education-loan-0
- Scholarship Positions http://scholarship-positions.com/
- United States – India Educational Foundation http://www.usief.org.in/index.aspx
Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 4:45 PM
Kindly note that the library shall be closed on Sundays and all other holidays as approved by DME.
Location: 5th Floor, DME Campus