Series of Special Lectures on Journalism & Mass Communication
The B.G. Verghese Series of Special Lectures is an open-ended and perpetual lecture series organised by the Department of Journalism & Mass Communication at Delhi Metropolitan Education. The series aims to provide first hand exposure to the students of Journalism and Mass Communication through lectures presented by experts in the media industry and peripheral industries or departments.
These lectures are a platform to invite innovative thinkers and influential journalists to create a vivifying learning experience for the students. Moreover, the endeavor augments promotion of the many essential and intrinsic journalistic traits in the field of print, electronic and cyber media. Discussions in the lectures held throughout the academic session help students and faculty to explore timely relevant media issues. Furthermore, these lectures equip students with ample information to chart out their areas of interest, interact with people who determine the direction of the industry, and learn how to present them in a professional environment while developing technical skills needed in the profession.
B.G. Verghese (1927-2014), was a towering journalist of India. The Magsaysay Award winner was well known for his courage, fair play, belief in the independence of the press, and adherence to professional ethics and standards. Educated at the Doon School, St. Stephen’s College and University of Cambridge, he rose in his journalistic career to become the editor of two leading national dailies – The Hindustan Times and later, The Indian Express. A lifelong crusader for civil rights, B.G. Verghese is often labeled the father of development journalism in India. Our Series of Special Lectures is dedicated to this remarkable journalist whose life and career exemplified unyielding integrity and strength of character.
List of B. G. Verghese Lectures held in 2017:
- Name of the speaker: Major General P.K. Saighal
- Designation of the speaker: Defence Expert, Major General(retired)
- Theme of the lecture: Attaining solidity and stability
- Name of the speaker: Mr. K.G. Suresh
- Designation of the speaker: Director, Indian institute of Mass Communication
- Theme of the lecture: Indian Media: Challenges and Opportunities
- Name of the speaker: Mr. N.K. Singh
- Designation of the speaker: Executive Member of Broadcaster Editors Association (BEA)
- Theme of the lecture: “Contemporary Trends in Media’
- Name of the speaker: Mr. Prashant Tandon
- Designation of the speaker: Senior Journalist
- Theme of the lecture: Digital Media: It changes everything