GENDER JUSTICE AND THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM IN INDIA
ONE MONTH ONLINE CERTIFICATE COURSE
LAUNCHED BY DME ADVANCED LEARNING CENTRE
Media Partner – Law Octopus
Delhi Metropolitan Education is a premier educational institute affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi and approved by the Bar Council of India. It is located in Industrial Area, Sector 62, Noida, Uttar Pradesh. DME provides an excellent infrastructure with strong academic facilities for the overall development of its students. The Institute runs professional courses in Law, Journalism and Management.
Apart from imparting education, a salient feature of the Institute is that it engages its faculty members in various research ventures. For this purpose, the Institute has established a Research Cell to promote the research work that touches the critical issues and recent developments of our country and across the world. The aim of this cell is to make signiﬁcant academic contribution to the existing body of knowledge in terms of new discoveries and fresh interpretation of existing theories.
Presently, the Research cell has seven centres which include Centre for Enviro-legal Studies (CELS), Centre for Criminal Law and Justice (CCLJ), Centre for IT and Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR), Centre for Law, Gender and Sexuality, Centre for Alternate Dispute Resolution (CADR), Centre for Constitutional Law and Human Rights (CCLHR) and the Centre for Sustainable Development (CSD).
Another outstanding academic endeavour undertaken by the Institute is the establishment of the ‘DME Advanced Learning Centre’ to impart quality education to the public at large through online courses. These courses will cover speciﬁc themes in the ﬁelds of Law, Management and Journalism.
ABOUT DME ADVANCED LEARNING CENTRE
The DME Advanced Learning Centre has been set up with a vision that everyone irrespective of his or her background is able to have access to quality education. Led by reputed academicians and industry experts, this Centre enables enhanced and ﬂexible learning environment in a global classroom. This digital learning initiative is open to everyone from students to experienced professionals. In this light, the DME Advanced Learning Centre is launching its ﬁrst one month online certiﬁcate course on ‘Gender Justice and the Criminal Justice System in India’.
ABOUT THE COURSE
The course on ‘Gender Justice and the Criminal Justice System in India’ deals with crimes against women and gender justice. The issue of gender justice has been a matter of discussion and deliberation, both at the international and national levels from a long time. With the increased participation of women in the economic, social, political and religious spheres of life, the instances of gender discrimination and crimes against women in India have increased multifold. Since independence and over a period of time legislative efforts have been made to control and prevent the commission of certain forms of crimes against women in India. After the Delhi Gang Rape case in the year 2012 further amendments were made in the criminal law in the year 2013 with a view to create a strong legal framework for safeguarding the interests of women. Despite these amendments, crimes against women have been increasing at an alarming rate. The Kathua and the Unnao rape cases are examples of the increase in crimes against women.
The Course focuses on understanding the status of women, the nature of crimes committed against women, the law relating to such crimes, the role of the enforcement agencies, the procedural intricacies involved and the judicial decisions made to strengthen the position of women in society. The course provides eleven video recorded lecture sessions along with written study material.
ABOUT THE COURSE DIRECTOR
Presently, Prof. (Dr.) Manjula Batra is Director Research and Advanced Learning, DME. She is also the Director of the online course on ‘Gender Justice and the Criminal Justice System in India’. She was formerly Professor of Law and Dean at the Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. She was also the Chairperson of the Ordinance Committee, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. Prof. Batra had also worked (on deputation basis) as Professor and Director at the Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies, aﬃliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi. Her career in Law spans over three decades. Prof. Batra attained her legal education from Campus Law Centre, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi and obtained a Ph.D degree from the same.She has been involved in teaching various subjects, such as, Women and Law, Tort Law, Constitutional Law, Environmental Law, Law of Evidence, Child and Law, Criminology, Socio-economic Oﬀences, Human Rights, including others, to the students of BA.LLB (Hons.), LLM and PhD programmes. Prof. Batra has a diverse and wide academic experience having been associated with prominent National and State Universities and other educational institutions across the country. She has many books and articles to her credit.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
The one month online certiﬁcate course on ‘Gender Justice and the Criminal Justice System in India’ has the following objectives:
- To promote gender justice as a priority concern in development, planning and implementation.
- To make the students sensitive about how gender plays a key role in the way women and men participate in social, political, economic and cultural institutions and activities.
- To create awareness among the students on the criminal law and the criminal justice system pertaining to the rights of women.
- To enable them to analyze the policies, constitutional provisions and programmes relating to gender issues in India.
- To develop an understanding of the structures that perpetuate gender inequalities at the level of the household, the community, the workplace and the State.
- All law, non-law, UG and PG students
- Academicians/ Researchers
- Lawyers/ Law Enforcement Agencies
- Professionals/ Consultants
- Social Workers/ NGO members
- Home Makers
- One month online certificate course will be conducted in eleven sessions.
- Lectures will be delivered by eminent persons from the legal fraternity.
- Study material will be provided to the students/participants.
- The students will be assessed /evaluated on the basis of online assignments the details of which will be provided once the student registers himself or herself for the course.
The fee for the Online Certificate Course will be Rs. 5000/- that has to be deposited at the time of registration. Payment details as mentioned below:
For Online transfer through NEFT/RTGS:
Delhi Metropolitan Education
Bank: HDFC Bank Ltd.
Branch: Sector 18, Noida
Account No: 50100187447560
IFSC Code: HDFC0001592
The DME Advanced Learning Centre will issue the online certificates only to those students who fulfil the following criteria:
- It is obligatory for the students to register themselves for the Course.
- The students must pay the fees at the time of registration.
- It will be compulsory to attend/view all the online sessions.
- The students will be examined on the basis of their performance in their online assignments.
- The assessment /evaluation will be done by awarding grades.
- Status of women in:
- Pre Vedic times
- Vedic times
- Ancient times
- Medieval Period
- British Period
- Contemporary times
- Gender Justice and the Law: Violence against Women
- International Human Rights and Gender Justice
- Crimes against women within the family
- Domestic Violence
- Dowry related offences
- Female Foeticide/Infanticide
- Crimes against women outside the family
- Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Outraging the Modesty of a Woman/Sexual Harassment
- Grievous Hurt/Acid Attack
- Trafficking in women and girls
- The Enforcement Mechanism and Gender Justice
- Role of Police
- Role of the Prosecutor
- Role of Judiciary
- Role of Civil Society
LECTURE SESSION DETAILS
|Session 1||Status of Women in India from ancient to contemporary times||Prof. Manjula Batra
Professor of Law, Director Research and Advanced Learning, Delhi Metropolitan Education (affiliated to GGSIPU);
Former Dean: Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia
|Session 2||International Human Rights and Gender Justice||Prof. Manoj Kumar Sinha
Professor of Law,
Director: Indian Law Institute, New Delhi
|Session 3||Rape Laws||Prof. Mrinal Satish
Professor of Law, National Law University, Delhi
|Session 4||Domestic Violence||Dr. Shivani Goswami
Associate Professor, School of law and Legal Studies, GGSIPU
|Session 5||Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 and Female foeticide||Dr. Bharti
Associate Professor, National Law University, Delhi
|Session 6||Sexual Harassment at workplace||Dr. Jyoti Dogra Sood
Associate Professor, Indian Law Institute
|Session 7||Acid Attack, voyeurism and stalking||Prof. Ritu Gupta
Professor of Law, National Law University Delhi
|Session 8||Trafficking in women and girls||Prof. Usha Razdan
Formerly Professor of Law and Professor- in-charge, Law Centre I, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi
|Session 9||Role of Police, Prosecution and Gender Justice||Dr. Anurag Deep
Associate Professor, Indian Law Institute, New Delhi
|Session 10||Role of Judiciary and Gender Justice||Prof. Upendra Baxi
Former Vice Chancellor, University of Delhi;
Former Vice Chancellor, University of South Gujrat, Surat;
Professor Emeritus, University of Delhi;
Professor Emeritus, Warwick University
|Session 11||Role of civil society and Gender Justice||Dr. Aman Hingorani
Advocate, Supreme Court of India
- Prof. Upendra Baxi is a renowned national and international jurist. He was awarded Padama Shri by the President of India in the year 2011 for his exemplary work in the ﬁelds of law and political science. He graduated from Rajkot (Gujarat University), read law at the University of Bombay, and holds an LLM degree from the same. He obtained his PhD degree from the University of California, Berkeley in the year 1973. Prof. Baxi is noted for his pedagogic and research contributions at many institutions. His internationally acknowledged contributions lie in the areas of Third World and International Law theory and movement, sociological studies of human rights theory and practice, the relationship between techno science formations and the law, transformative constitutionalism and adjudicatory policymaking, and critical studies of globalization of law. Prof. Baxi is a proliﬁc writer and has written extensively on law and related subjects.
- Prof. (Dr.) Manjula Batra was formerly Professor of Law and Dean at Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. She was also the Chairperson of the Ordinance Committee, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. Prof. Batra had also worked (on deputation basis) as a Professor and Director at the Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies, aﬃliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi. Presently, she is working as Director, Research and Advanced Learning, at DME, Noida, Uttar Pradesh. She has been pursuing her career in law for over three decades. She attained her legal education including her Ph.D degree from Campus Law Centre, University of Delhi. Prof. Batra has a diverse and wide academic experience having been associated with prominent National and State Universities and other educational institutions across the country. She has books and many articles to her credit.
- Prof. (Dr.) Manoj Kumar Sinha is the Director of the Indian Law Institute, New Delhi. He did his Doctorate in International Law from Jawaharlal Nehru University, LL.M. from the University of Nottingham and LL.B from University of Delhi. He has published extensively in the ﬁeld of international law, international relations, constitutional law, international human rights, humanitarian and refugee laws, in reputed National and International Law journals. Prof. Sinha has authored, edited and co-edited several books.
- Dr. Aman M. Hingorani is a renowned lawyer and mediator. He practices in the Supreme Court of India and the High Court of Delhi. He has taught law at several notable institutions in India and abroad.
- Prof. Usha Razdan is a former Professor of Law Campus Law Centre-I, University of Delhi. She was awarded her PhD degree from Jammu University in the year 1992. Her specialization is in Criminal Law. She was awarded a Commonwealth Fellowship to pursue her studies in law at the London School of Economics and Political Science, London in the year 1998-99. She was also awarded Scholarship to pursue research in law at the Max Plank Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law, Germany in the year 2015. She has published various articles in reputed journals.
- Prof. Mrinal Satish is a graduate from the National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU). He holds a Masters degree and a Doctoral degree in law from Yale Law School. His research interests include sentencing, gender and the law, medical jurisprudence, empirical analysis of law, reproductive justice including others. Prof. Satish has published articles in several renowned national and international journals.
- Prof. (Dr.) Ritu Gupta is a Professor of law at the National Law University, Delhi. She has authored two books; one on ‘Sexual Harassment at Work Place’ and another ‘Law of Contract’ both published by LexisNexis. She has been conferred ‘REX Karamveer Global Fellowship and Karamveer Chakra Award’ in March 2015 for her outstanding contribution to women empowerment.
- Dr. Jyoti Dogra Sood is an Associate Professor of law at the Indian Law Institute, New Delhi. She has written several articles which have been published in national and international journals. Dr. Sood was appointed as a visiting research fellow in the University of New South Wales in the year 2009 for a period of three years. She has been associated with the journal of the Indian Law Institute for the last eight years as Associate Editor.
- Dr. Bharti is an Associate Professor of Law at NLU, Delhi. She has several articles published in prominent law journals. Dr. Bharti’s areas of interest include Constitutional Law, Environmental Law, Family Law and Criminology.
- Dr. Shivani Goswami is an Associate Professor in Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Dwarka, Delhi and has 17 years of experience in teaching Family Law. She has recently written a book on Family Law I which is published by Central law Publications. She has to her credit several Articles on Family Law published in well-known International and National journals.
- Dr. Anurag Deep is an Associate Professor of Law at the Indian Law Institute, New Delhi. He did his LL.B. and LL.M. from BHU, Varanasi. He did his Ph.D. from Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University on ‘Laws regarding Terrorism and Violation of Human Rights (with special Reference to Cyber Terrorism)’.
For any queries contact +91-7042667951, 7042667516
E-Mail ID: email@example.com